Alexandra L. Scoville
Alexandra is a Senior Associate attorney at Schmeiser, Olsen & Watts, LLP.
Alexandra advises individuals, entrepreneurs, and small to large companies on intellectual property matters including domestic and international portfolio development, enforcement, and branding and licensing strategy. She prosecutes trademark applications at the USPTO and copyright applications at the U.S. Copyright Office. Alexandra is also a member of the Firm’s litigation practice, representing clients in state and federal court and in ex parte and inter partes proceedings at the USPTO.
Alexandra has a background in biology and chemistry having studied environmental science and policy at Russell Sage College. There, she designed and conducted an experiment measuring the impact of glyphosate on microbial population sizes in soil. Alexandra gained first-hand experience in technology entrepreneurship at the SUNY Colleges of Nanoscale Science and Engineering where she studied Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Nanotechnology for a semester in law school. As an extension of that course, Alexandra was a presenter for and a member of the 3rd place business team in the Advanced Technology/Nanotechnology Track of the 2015 New York Business Plan Competition. Alexandra joined the Firm in 2017 and previously clerked for the Firm during law school.
- Trademark & Copyright Prosecution
- Patent, Trademark, & Copyright Portfolio Development and Licensing
- Litigation: Patent, Trademark, Copyright, Trade Secret, Contracts
- Mechanical Arts
Albany Law School of Union University, 2016, J.D.
- Concentration in Intellectual Property Law with Honors
- Executive Editor of the Albany Law Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 26
- Chair of the Domenick L. Gabrielli Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Competition
Russell Sage College, 2014, B.A. Environmental Studies
- New York State
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Represents clients in State and Federal court in intellectual property and related disputes;
- Represents clients in ex parte and inter partes proceedings in front of the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the USPTO
Assisted with research and strategy in complex copyright litigation as a law clerk at Schmeiser, Olsen and Watts. Drafted pleadings and conducted extensive complex litigation research at her previous law firm. Represented the New York State Liquor Authority in an Article 78 action as a legal intern for the Authority’s Office of Counsel under student practice order; argued in front of the New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division, First Department.
- New York State Bar Association
- Intellectual Property and Innovation American Inn of Court
Alexandra enjoys drawing and painting, running, and classic science fiction literature.
PUBLICATIONS – NEWS – EVENTS
Schmeiser, Olsen & Watts Hosts International Virtual Meeting – Schmeiser, Olsen & Watts hosted a Virtual Meeting attended by international attorneys and practitioners around the world. The meeting was attended by 15 law firms from 14 different countries, and proved to be a great opportunity to discuss the state of the global intellectual property community in light of the pandemic and other global events […]
Schmeiser, Olsen & Watts Partners with UMass Lowell Innovation Hub to Host Entrepreneur Forum – In partnership with UMass Lowell Innovation Hub, attorneys from Schmeiser, Olsen & Watts LLP hosted a digital meeting for entrepreneurs interested in forming an IP strategy to protect their inventions and to gain venture capital while trying to maintain a budget required to execute the strategy. Tim Collins, Allie Scoville, and Victor Baranowski presented at […]